This position has been covered.
Pangeanic has open a vacancy linked to a EU Marie Curie project. We are looking for a researcher with high programming skills with the machine translation area. Applicants are welcome to start as soon as possible! Pangeanic is a fast growing company with a keen interest in machine translation developments.
Job Description Pangeanic BI-Europe (www.pangeanic.com) is looking for a post-doctoral researcher (Experienced Researcher – ER) to carry out research work on the implementation and evaluation of the new hybrid computer-aided translation technology proposed in the EXPERT project and particularly, how these can be applied to its PangeaMT platform. The ER will complement the work of a group of ESRs (Early Stage Researcher – ESR) with humanities background in the implementation and evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved prototypes proposed in EXPERT.
The contract will start as soon as possible and has a duration until 30th Sept 2016 when the EXPERT project finishes. Objectives
- Ensure that hybrid corpus-based approaches do not remain in the research community and get tested in real world scenarios with human users.
- Conceive a new corpus-based translation framework that will result in scientific and technological advances in all corpus-based translation fields and facilitate the work of human translators.
To reach these objectives, the following tasks and methodology should be taken into account:
- Produce a comprehensive literature review on corpus-based approaches to translation ad hybridisation techniques.
- Proposal of a hybrid system involving the best features of all techniques that have been explored and evaluated.
- The successful candidate is expected to interact with project partners during secondements.
- Improved Hybrid prototypes.
- Final evaluation of these prototypes.
- Scientific papers: A minimum of two scientific papers to be published at major conferences and/or relevant journals.
- Comparative evaluation showing the improvement brought by EXPERT technologies over other existing systems.
- Analysis of their suitability in industrial application scenarios.
- Demonstration of prototypes to the community in the project Business Showcase.
- Contribution to a training course held as part of the project Business Showcase event, and to hands-on training for the use of the new tools developed in EXPERT project, as well as on general post-editing of automatic translation.
Requirements We are looking for an open-minded person that loves programming and is focused on quality and performance:
- Master or doctorate in IT, computer engineering or mathematics with a strong interest in NLP and willing to help the translation industry.
- World-class programming skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the state-of-the-art algorithms and methods related to data retrieving, data mining and string manipulation.
- (Optional) Knowledge of MT systems, preferably SMT and RBMT.
- Knowledge of machine learning and typical NLP languages, such as Python and/or Perl.
- Knowledge of translation memory systems and matching & retrieval algorithms and segmentation.
- Knowledge of Linux-based server environment.
- Availability to work in an international environment.
- Good relationship and communication skills.
- All suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender or nationality are welcome to apply as long as the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Applicants should be in possession of a doctoral degree (preferably) or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience. At the time of recruitment, the applicant should have less than five years of full-time equivalent research experience (including the duration of the PhD).
- Applicants should have good knowledge of English, both written and oral, in order to be able to submit reports in English.
- Applicants should (preferably) have basic command of the Spanish language.
- Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3-year period immediately prior to the start date. Candidates of Spanish nationality should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 5-year period immediately prior to the start date.
Closing date: applications are welcome and the position is available until the position is filled. The fellowship is open and available now, and the position can be filled anytime from today
(–> position has been reopened – candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP)
Annual salary: 57,154 Euros (Marie Curie rates will apply, deducting SS contributions). Monthly mobility allowance: 683.90 Euros for ER without a family, or 977 Euros for ER with a family (Marie Curie rates will apply, deducting SS contributions).
How to apply: send an e-mail to email@example.com, specifying on the subject line EXPERT project ER 2015.
Company overview Pangeanic is an innovation-driven translation company with a high research drive into private, self-customizable and secure machine translation (MT), software translation, post-editing and localization company which falls within the small and medium enterprise (SME) category. It provides cutting-edge MT services ranging from customized machine-translation developments, translation of Big Data, online translation of customer reviews and background MT for gisting, to machine-translation systems built for in-house use where data privacy is paramount, e.g. sensitive material, intelligence, etc. The company also offers multilingual processing technology consultancy and training. Pangeanic has a team of 8 translation consultants and development experts with long experience in the R&D of multilingual, automated, translation technologies, language development and its deployment in production environments, as well as 2 senior software developers focusing on scalable, web-service based machine translation architectures, user interfaces and deployment experiences.